How did the dinner go you ask? actually quite well considering I was hungover to shite and had a slight touch of the fear! Terrine for starters followed by roast leg of venison with all the trimmings and apple crumble. Safe to say I'm in the good books for a few weeks and will be making this terrine again for Christmas day starter.
Smoked Salmon, Prawn & Crab Terrine
800g large packet of smoked salmon
400g raw prawns
1 red onion, finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely chopped
1 lemon, juice and zest
6 sheets of leaf gelatine
300g of cream cheese
150g of creme fraiche
- Butter a bread tin then cover in cling film.
- Line the whole tin with slices of smoked salmon making sure some overlap
- Soak 6 sheets of gelatine in some cold water, squeeze out the moisture then add the gelatine to a saucepan with the juice of the lemon. Heat and allow the gelatine to dissolve then cool slightly.
- Cook the frozen prawns and season with lemon juice, salt and pepper, allow to cool
- In a bowl mix the cream cheese and creme fraiche. Add the crabmeat, red onion, lemon zest and spring onions, salt and pepper (you could also add parsley at this stage).
- Chop the prawns and remainder of the salmon roughly and add to the mixture
- Add the slightly cooled lemon and gelatine mixture
- Pour half the mixture into the bread tin then add a layer of smoked salmon
- Fill the bread tin with the remainder of the mixture then fold in the smoked salmon to cover.
- Leave in the fridge to chill ideally overnight
- Serve on a bed of leaves with a wedge of lemon and some fresh brown bread